This week’s Makeover Monday focuses on fatal bear attacks in North America from 1900-2018. The original chart is the following bar chart from an article on Vox.
What works well?
- Summarizing the data by month provides useful insight into the annual pattern of incidents.
- Using a bar chart allows easy comparison between months.
- The “X” on January and March helps emphasize that there were no attacks in those months.
- The bears on top of each bar are gratuitous, but don’t distract from the overall message.
What could be improved?
- Not much. The original chart is very clean and clear.
- Month labels could be consistently abbreviated to 3 letters.
What Marc did:
- Filtered the data to attacks occurring in Canada only.
- Added subtle gridlines with axis labels.