This week’s Makeover Monday looks at electricity usage at 10 Downing Street, the official residence of the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
What works well?
- A time series chart is appropriate for displaying the trend in energy usage.
- Peaks in usage are highlighted in lighter green.
What could be improved?
- The graph does not provide a legend for the different shades of green. However, it is explained in the notes available on the source website.
- It is difficult to see patterns in usage by hour of day.
What Ryan did:
- Started off with a heat map by month and day of the week.
- I also wanted show the trends by hour, so I created small multiple line charts also by month and day of the week.
- Used transparent sheets to overlay the line charts on top of the heat map.
What Marc did:
- Created a calendar layout using week number and weekday in Tableau.
- Charted hourly electricity usage as a heatmap; brighter spots indicate higher usage.
- Used the Yellow-Green-Blue (YlGnBu) colour palette, available from Jacob Olufska’s Colour Palettes for Tableau viz.
- Took some overall design inspiration from Justin Davis’ At Minimum viz.