The Digital Economy and Society Index (DESI) measures the digital performance and competitiveness of countries in the European Union. The original chart for this week’s makeover shows the 2018 DESI ranking of EU countries.
What works well?
- Countries are ranked in order of total index score.
- Bars allow easy comparison of total score.
What could be improved?
- Stacked bars make comparing individual indicators across countries very difficult due to the lack of a common baseline.
- Colours are overly vibrant. A more muted palette in the same tone would be less distracting.
- Countries are not obvious based on two-letter country codes. The country names would be better as labels.
What Marc did:
- Pivoted data to show each indicator in its own column in addition to the total score.
- Created a table in Data Studio, allowing sort order to be changed by clicking on column headers.
- Added reference line for the EU average of each metric.
What Ryan did:
- Created slope graphs for total weighted score and for each indicator, comparing 2014 to 2018 ranking.
- Used a highlight parameter to compare individual countries.
- Added dimension descriptions from the source site to give context.