It’s Chinese New Year this week, and for Makeover Monday we get this chart that compares the Spring Festival in China with Thanksgiving in the United States.
What works well?
- Colours are distinct and intuitive.
- Values are labelled.
- Circles are visually pleasing.
What could be improved?
- Comparing the areas of circles is extremely difficult. Using bar charts would be much more effective.
- Metrics are absolute totals and don’t account for the difference in population between China and the U.S.
What Ryan did:
- Converted the total expenditure and trips to a per person amount and the TV viewership to percentage of population. Since China has a larger population, this makes comparisons easier.
- Created bar charts for each measure comparing China and the USA.
What Marc did:
- I re-created the original graphic, converting the concentric circles to side-by-side bar charts.