This week’s Makeover Monday dataset looks at the status of wind power in the USA.
What works well?
- The chart is sorted which makes it easy and quick to see the states with the highest wind power capacity.
- The investment figures below the x-axis add some context to the viz.
What could be improved?
- The turbine bar charts are unnecessary and distracting. It is harder to make comparisons since the shapes block the bars of other states. Using simple bars would be clearer.
- The labels get very small on the right side of the chart making them hard to read. The chart could be widened to give the labels more space.
- The y-axis scale is not accurate. The distance from 100 to 1,000 looks the same as from 5,000 to 10,000.
What Ryan did:
- Created a hex map chart to show the wind power capacity of each state. I also wanted to bring attention to the states with zero capacity.
- Looked into why the Southeast lacks wind power capacity and added an annotation (source).
What Marc did:
- Created a bar chart focusing on the top 10 states by wind energy production.
- Added scorecards to summarize the key wind energy metrics.
- Applied chart interactions in Data Studio to allow the bar chart to be used a filter for the scorecards.