This week’s Makeover Monday dataset comes from a report on the economic value of the bicycle industry in the United Kingdom. The chart shows the quarterly trend in bicycle imports from 2010 to 2016.
What works well?
- Use of a line chart makes the seasonal trend easy to see.
- Line markers clearly indicate the quarterly data points.
What could be improved?
- Labels and gridlines can be re-formatted to eliminate some non-data ink.
- Vertical axis title can be re-oriented to make it easier to read.
What Marc did:
- Kept original line chart style.
- Simplified labels on both axes and horizontal label on vertical axis.
- Added shading for 2016 to correspond with the insight presented in the caption.