The Reykjavik Index measures the extent to which men and women are perceived to be equally suited for positions of leadership. This week’s Makeover Monday chart shows the Reykjavik Index across the G7.
What works well?
- Clean, uncluttered design
- G7 Average is highlighted with a different colour
What could be improved?
- Circular bars are misleading. A typical bar chart encodes data in the length of the bars. In a circular bar chart, the data is in fact encoded in the radial angle, which is more difficult to interpret.
What Ryan did:
- Used a traditional bar chart.
- Added a reference line to show the G7 average.
- Colour-coded countries above average and below average.
What Marc did:
- Straightened the bars to allow easier comparison.
- Added grey bars stacked to 100 to show the maximum extent of the index.
- Kept the original colours and overall style.