The data for this week’s Makeover Monday challenge comes from the Marine Conservation Society’s Great British Beach Clean in 2017. The original chart is by the BBC.
What works well?
- Clear title and subtitle which provides enough context
- Types of waste are sorted from most to least
- Overall style is visually appealing
What could be improved?
- Using a bubble chart makes it difficult to compare the types by size
- The chart only depicts the top 10 types of waste which makes up about 69% of the total waste found per 100 meters of beach. This could be called out somewhere on the viz.
What Ryan did:
- The BBC article emphasized how problematic plastic pollution is so I wanted to highlight that.
- Turned the original into a bar chart showing items per 100m by type
- Coloured the items made from plastic