This week’s chart comes from a New York Times article on Stephen Curry’s love for popcorn. He ranks each NBA stadium’s popcorn based on five categories.
What works well?
- Stadium’s are sorted from highest to lowest total score.
- Colour palette makes it easy to see the different ranks in the heatmap.
What could be improved?
- The scale used for the rankings is not stated on the chart (it is stated in the article that a 1 to 5 scale was used).
- Rather than encoding the data by colour saturation, a bar chart or dot plot would make differences in rating easier to perceive.
What Ryan did:
- Remade the original chart using a dot plot.
- Colored the columns by category.
What Marc did:
- Inspired by a video game “team select” screen, my viz allows two teams to be compared head-to-head.
- The ratings across the 5 popcorn dimensions is shown in back-to-back bar charts.