The topic of this week’s Makeover Monday is ISS spacewalks. The original chart is from NASA.
What works well?
- Stacked bar chart makes it easy to compare between U.S. and Russia.
- Bars are also labelled which helps with comparisons.
- Colors are distinct.
What could be improved?
- A legend could be added to make it clearer which color is for which country.
- Background image is distracting and can be excluded.
What Ryan did:
- I used the detail data set provided to show the top 25 astronauts by total spacewalk time.
- Created a bar chart showing the total spacewalk time broken down by individual spacewalks.
- Colored the bars by space suit used.
What Marc did:
- Created a diverging bar chart to allow each series to have an equal baseline. Oriented the axis vertically to avoid unintended positive/negative associations with bars above/below a horizontal axis.
- Used light colours on a dark background in keeping with the space theme.
- Excluded 2019, as there is only partial data.
- Added annotations to highlight key events, including the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster and the end of the Shuttle program.